Read on to learn how to add and create a password in LockPass.
All users can add and create passwords in their Personal Space or Shared Space.
There are three ways to add a password, which are the same for Personal Space or Shared Space : "on-the-fly", with the browser extension, or directly on the LockPass interface.
"On-the-fly" (with the auto-add pop-up)
- Step 1 : Go to the account creation page of the website where you want to create a new account, and enter your login information (username, password) but also your additional information (description, optional fields 1, 2, 3) in the corresponding fields.
- Step 2 : Once all the elements are filled in, validate and create your account on the website.
- Step 3 : On the auto-add pop-up that appears on the left, click on « Add ».
Your password and its information will be automatically saved in your safe.
|🚨When you log in using the username and password auto-completion (thanks to the browser extension), the pop-up will not appear, even if you manually change fields after the auto-completion.|
With the browser extension
- Step 1 : On the website account creation page where you want to create a password, click on the LockSelf extension at the top righ, next to the search bar. On the window that appears, click « Add ».
- Step 2 : Define the elements related to your password
- the URL of the website login page (this will be filled in automatically)
- the location of your new password (root of your Personal Space, category of the Personal Space or Shared Space)
- the name of the password (the name of the website for example)
- the username (the email address used)
- the password (as seen before, you can use the password generator)
- a description and other information (these elements are optional : click on « Add a description/option » to reveal the fields)
Then click on « Add » : your password will be created and added in the space you specified in step 2.
You will now be able to continue the account creation process on the web page.
On the interface
- Step 1 : In your Personal Space or your Shared Space, click on the « Password » button after clicking on
- Step 2 : Select the space where you want to store your password (in the root of your Personal Space, in a category of your Personal Space or in a category of your Shared Space).
- If you create a password in a Shared Space, you can, for more clarity, grey out in the choice of destination categories the parent categories to which you do not have access, by clicking on the « Hide non-accessible categories » button
- Step 3 : Choose a name for this password (for example the name of the website) and the username (the email address used).
- Step 4 : Set your password or use the password generator to create a strong password.
|🚨 With this generator, you will be able to choose, among other things, the minimum and maximum number of characters and whether your password should contain upper or lower case letters, numbers or special characters.|
- Step 5 : Enter the URL of the login page of the website for which you want to register a password
- If you have a username / password pair used on several different URLs, you can enter all these URLs by separating them with the | (keyboard key AltGr 6)
|🚨This field is optional, in case you want to save local application passwords or private keys|
- Step 6 : Click on « See more options » to display the other optional fields.
- Tags : they will be used to search for your passwords in the field Research (click on « Add » so that your tags are taken into account)
- Description : to describe your passwords if needed
- Optional custom fields : to provide additional information (example: specific connection process, etc)
Then click on « Add password » : the password will be created and will appear in the space or category you specified in step 2.